Alugbati is a common vegetable in the Philippines, and it’s also known as malabar spinach or vine spinach, though it isn’t spinach at all it can be used as a substitute for spinach in salads and other recipes.
Squash is one of the most versatile and delicious vegetables available throughout the world. Different varieties of squash have the ability to improve the quality of your sight, boost skin health, strengthen the immune system, prevent cancer, manage symptoms of diabetes, build strong bones, protect heart health, reduce symptoms of insomnia, prevent inflammatory conditions, treat arthritis, eliminate ulcers, eliminate parasites and infections, increase prostate health, protects against birth defects, boosts respiratory health, and reduces blood pressure.
If you opt to expand your palate and give alugbati a try, why not combine it with squash, for sure you’ll get a wealth of nutrients, as well as a few health benefits.
Here’s the Recipe:
- 1 lb. alugbati (vine spinach), washed and cut (discard hard stems)
- 1 lb. squash, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 pcs. medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 2 tbsps. ginger, sliced thin
- 1 pork flavor bouillon, crushed
- 2 tbsps. olive or any other type of cooking oil
- 2 tbsps. patis (fish sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 cups water
- In a pan, sauté garlic and ginger for a minute. Add ground pork and continue to sauté until meat is light brown.
- Add patis (fish sauce) and crushed pork flavor bouillon. Stir well.
- Add water and cover pan. Bring to a boil.
- When boiling starts, set the fire to low medium and add squash. Continue to cook until squash are little tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add alugbati and simmer in low fire for 2 minutes. Mix well.
- Serve hot.
Source:mytaste.com, healthyeating.com, organicfacts.net